You Know You Need to Expand When…*
- Your sales have topped $800 per square foot. “If they are at that level and you haven’t started planning,” according to Bill Gessner, “you are behind.” If sales are not there yet, you should plan to get there.
- Your store has been profitable three years in a row.
- Current sales growth is in the double digits.
*If your store meets these three criteria, expansion might be worth considering.
You Know You Really Really Need to Expand When…
- The most common expression heard in the aisles is “Excuse me.”
- You get five or more complaints a day from customers who have to park two blocks away.
- The most common response to customer requests is “Sorry, no more room on the shelves.”
- There are not enough shopping carts to go around. On Tuesday morning.
- Staff take their breaks in the product receiving area because there’s nowhere else available.