“There has never been a greater need for co-ops, and we have an incredible story to tell.“—Charles Gould, Director General, International Cooperative Alliance
October is Co-op Month and 2012 is the United Nations International Year of the Cooperatives, so in honor of those events we gathered our fantastic panelists from last year’s Co-op Connections workshop to talk some more about all the exciting things going on in the world of co-ops!
The JUST–RELEASED one hour video presentation is now available in the CBLD Library. In the discussion we hope to:
- Increase understanding of the larger world of cooperatives and why they matter
- Explore issues of interest to cooperative leaders
- Build enthusiasm for cooperatives
- Celebrate Co-op Month, and
- Prepare for the 2012 United Nations’ International Year of the Cooperative
Our panelists are:
- Paul Hazen, President & CEO, National Cooperative Business Association
- Charles Gould, Director General, International Cooperative Alliance
- Robynn Shrader, CEO, National Cooperative Grocers Association
- Stuart Reid, Executive Director, Food Co-op Initiative
- Marilyn Scholl, Manager, CDS Consulting Co-op
- Kevin Edberg, Executive Director, Cooperative Development Services
The interviews were conducted by CDS Consulting Co-op CBLD consultant Joel Kopischke.
- Many believe that cooperatives are a better business model. How did you get involved in cooperatives? Why are cooperatives important to you?
- Co-ops have been relatively resilient operating in highly competitive markets and a challenging economy. Why is that and how can we build on that success? What are the most important aspects of the cooperative advantage for members and potential members to understand?
- There is a growing wave of interest in developing new cooperatives, in the US especially with food co-ops. How can the existing cooperative community best support these efforts?
- The International Year of the Cooperative is being celebrated worldwide. What’s one idea that local co-ops can do to join in the celebration?
- Bonus question: The International Year of the Cooperative slogan is “Cooperative Enterprises Build a Better World.” What’s something that you personally are looking forward to experiencing in the “better world” that is coming?
Please join us in celebrating Co-op Month, and preparing for the International Year of the Cooperative by viewing this recorded presentation. Thank you!
Some sample quotes from the video:
Paul Hazen, president & CEO, National Cooperative Business Association
“We are working on creating a co-op investment fund organizations and individuals can invest in for helping new co-ops get started.”
Charles Gould, director general, International Cooperative Alliance
“There has never been a greater need for co-ops, and we have an incredible story to tell.”
Robynn Shrader, CEO, National Cooperative Grocers Association
“I’m personally looking forward to a cultural shift in our country and around the world regarding the environment.”
Stuart Reid, executive director, Food Co-op Initiative
“There are as many new food co-ops starting as there are existing food co-ops.”
Marilyn Scholl, manager, CDS Consulting Co-op
“An economy driven only by the profit motive makes the world a sad place…people trust co-ops.”
Kevin Edberg, executive director, Cooperative Development Services
“We operate our businesses to meet member needs, and that is a whole different mindset.”